Alamere Real Estate is led by two of Marin’s top Real Estate Professionals: Karin and Alex Narodny. who are committed to assisting buyers find their dream home. Our experience has given us keen insight on how the average person picks their real estate representative and the common mistakes that people make along the way. We understand that it is often easiest to choose a realtor based solely on a friend’s recommendation but doing your own research and interviewing multiple agents can save you time, effort and aggravation in the process of buying your home, no matter how experienced you are at home buying.
Sub-headline: Where to Begin your Agent Search
Ask friends for referrals. Friends can give you a starting point, but don’t hire an agent solely on a friend’s recommendation, says Brenner. Don’t choose an agent based on personality alone, but make sure you can get along well.
Research online. So many online tools are available at your disposal. Please check Zillow agent profiles, Yelp reviews, as well as resources like Homelight, Realtor.com, and Google. It’s also a good idea to browse the agent’s personal websites to ensure they take their online reputation seriously.
Choose an agent that handles homes in your price range. Some agents specialize in high-end properties and won’t give their best effort on properties under a set value. If they usually deal in fixer-uppers, they won’t have the experience to navigate the luxury market place.
Choose an agent who listens to your needs and takes the time to explain things. Real estate transactions can be complicated and the terminology confusing. You need an agent who will both know the answers to your questions and takes the time to explain them.
Choose an agent who can and will provide other services. Will they help arrange a house inspection, refer you to qualified lending professionals, and connect you with reliable individuals?
Interviewing potential agents and brokers
The only way to select an agent that is right for you is to sit down with them and ask them questions. We have included a brief list of some important questions below:
- Has the agent been in the real estate business for 10 or more years in the area?
- How many transactions has the agent had in those years?
- Does the agent belong to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) and/or a reliable online home buyer’s search service? Multiple Listing Services are cooperative information networks of Realtors that provide descriptions of most of the houses for sale in a particular region.
- Is real estate their full-time career?
- What real estate designations does the agent hold?
- In exchange for your commitment, how will the agent help you accomplish your goals? Show you homes that meet your requirements and provide you with a list of the properties he or she is showing you?
- Does the realtor have your best interests in mind?
- Does the realtor take time to thoroughly explain things and listen to you?
- Does the Realtor specialize in the area?
- Can the realtor assist you with financing arrangements?
- Can the realtor provide references in the area?
- Is there more than one individual I can rely on for help?
- What reputation does the Realtor and office have in the area?